02 April 2013

Love: The Church's Teaching

What does the Church teach on love? To answer this, let us take a look at John 15:12, where Jesus says "This is my commandment: love one another as I love you." Jesus perfects the Decalogue, or the Ten Commandments, and replaces it with one single one. However, His new commandment of love is the hardest of all. Jesus is calling us to show love even in the most difficult of circumstances, as said in the Parable of the Unforgiving Servant "'Lord, if my brother sins against me, how often must I forgive him? As many as seven times?"' Jesus answered," I say to you, not seven times but seventy-seven times,'" (Matthew 18:21-22). We constantly sin against Christ, but yet He forgives us every time.
Jesus is calling us to do the same, by showing infinite love to our brothers and sisters, even if they should sin against us. Let us follow the path of Christ, and be more forgiving toward our brothers and sisters. After all, there is only one Earth, and we have to share it as we await for the return of our lord and savior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment