29 March 2013

Good Friday

Hello all! Today is Good Friday. Most of us are off from school and are just relaxing in the comfort of our own homes. I myself am spending the day playing Halo 4 and Wizard101. But, I ask, is it even possible to be holy by spending your entire day playing games?

Most of us would probably think being holy involves dramatic acts of goodness, such as pushing someone out of the way of a speeding car, or volunteering at a homeless shelter. However, it is possible to be holy by spending your day in front of a computer screen. But how, you may ask. The answer lies with how you play your game.

For example, lets say I'm playing Halo 4 multiplayer and an opponent I'm facing continually kills me every time I get near him. What do I do? Do I go into a rage and threaten to report him if he doesn't let me win? Or rather, happily congratulate him on his skill with the game?  If I had chosen the first option, what would I have to gain? I would most likely interact with my opponent in only this scenario, and yet I have given him the impression that I am an immature, spoiled brat. And as for reporting him, I could possibly have sanctions issued against me for a false report. Now, if I had chosen the latter, what do I have to lose? Most likely my opponent would thank me for the complement. Perhaps he would have shared a tip or two to improve for the next match. But what if he insults me and calls me a "newbie" or "noob"? Let us recall the words of Jesus Christ in the Beatitudes: "Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you [falsely] because of me," (Mt 5:11).  In other words, should he insult me for my compliment, then it will be on him to make reparations. Christ calls us to show love and mercy in all circumstances, and here is yet another example of when we are summoned to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment